Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Are we Postmodern?

Remember when you were a kid and you asked your Dad or Mom, "Are we rich or poor?" I wish I still had that same innocence--some would say "ignorance"--of reality. Perhaps, we were closer to reality when we didn't have our negative filters on; when we didn't know "better." In much the same way, most of us don't know what being postmodern means, much less whether of not we are postmodern. Maybe we're modern? "So Dad, Are we 'modern' or 'post-modern'?" "Well, son. It's a generational thing. Your grandfather is post-mortem." Wow. That's a really bad joke. Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Postmodernism is simply the state of being after the modern era. So what's the modern era? These are philosophical definitions of the most recent time periods in history. The modern era is usually defined as the period which sprung from the 17th century Enlightenment period, which in turn, sparked the modern science movement. Are you back in 9th grade history yet? The "modern" era is simply the age when an empirical approach to knowledge emerged. This means that the way we "knew" things was primarily done by verification or experimentation, such as using the scientific method. So let me ask you a question. Do you believe that this is the way we should measure whether something is true or not? Most of us would tend to say "yes." At least when it comes to "science." But why then do we have a different approach to our philosophy of life? If we are consistent, we would also judge our belief systems this way. But we tend to say, "Well, what's good for you is good for you and what's good for me is good for me." We don't hear scientists speak this way about their research.

So why don't we take this approach to the world of science? After all, we have to be fair-minded, right? Why don't we have a care-free attitude toward scientific studies or even scientific truths? I don't really know anyone who has a care-free attitude toward the law of gravity. "Hey man, don't get on me with your gravity kick." This is because even though many don't like the label of being a "modern" the reality is that we are still very much "modern-like." And that is because being rational is not in itself a bad thing--it's a good thing. But being a rationalist is entirely different. That's taking reason and cause and effect to a level it was never intended for.

A postmodern view of knowledge is one that challenges all previous thought. But how is this any different than any human era in history? Well, the postmodern mind cares more about things relating to one another and not so much how or why--that's for the non-relational people. But this kind of thinking can be equally as dangerous as its opposite. There is an underlying arrogance to it. While it seems humble, it undermines all previous thought and judges it too certain. And they are certain about that. We see this all the time. It's your university professor preaching tolerance of all worldviews except any view which claims to be certain of anything. It's your neighborhood pastor telling you God loves you but is not sure if He exists. Its deciding never to marry because it is a commitment based on predicting the future, which is totally uncertain. These are signs of postmodern thought. On the surface is very noble, but underneath is founded upon skepticism.

As a Christian, my goal is neither to be "modern" or "postmodern" or any other classification of historical thought. Rather I want to transcend my surroundings and live by the Truth which never changes--God's Word.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve (this also means prove) what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

This is my goal in this life. I want to live free from uncertainty and doubt. I do not want to doubt whether or not I love my wife and I don't think she wants me to either. I want her to know that I love her and she can be sure of it. And the only basis for this kind of certainty is if I am living by eternal truths given by One who is infinitely wise. So as I do, I am proving to my wife that God's will is good and she can know without a doubt that I love her with all my heart. This is how I want to love this world, even if it is not sure about me.

There are many things of which we can never be certain, but there is one thing of which we must be certain:

He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:12-13

I want everyone to have this kind of certainty.

No comments: